September 3, 2007

Ode to Phone

Very basic cordless phone, blue in colour, bought at Walmart (Stratford) in 2003 for $7.00. It served us well and we loved it so much that we decided to bring it back to India when we moved in 2005. After weathering innumerable voltage fluctuations and power outages for the last two years (a culture shock for any electronic device coming from America), it died today. Reason? One might think the numerous electricity issues finally got it. Alas, its end came from my dear daughter's hands. Just like that, she flung it down from the balcony and that was that. It's weird how sad I feel about it. Everything material has to go someday but this phone was my connection, no pun intended, to my life in America. I still used it to talk to my friends there and it just felt comfortable. When I see the replacement phone in place of my old one, I feel a strange void. I don't think I can use it for a few days. I need to mourn. Goodbye old phone, I am going to miss you.